What is a Name Server?
- A name server is a web server that has DNS software installed on it, particularly a server that is managed by a web host that is specifically designated for managing the domain names that are associated with all of the hosting provider's accounts.
- Every web site has two name servers to which it is pointed, and this process must be done by the webmaster upon purchasing a domain and a hosting account. If you have more questions about domain name pointing and your web hosting name servers, it is recommended that you contact your web hosting provider.
- Nameservers are part of DNS, which stands for “Domain Name System.”
- Domain Name Server (DNS)
- Each computer on the Internet is assigned a unique address, called an IP address. A typical IP address looks like this: 199.123.456.7
- It is very difficult to keep in mind the IP addresses of all the websites we visit daily. Words are easier to remember than strings of numbers. This is where domain names come into the picture. When you visit a website, all you need to know is its URL. Computers remember numbers, and DNS helps us convert the URL into an IP address that the computer can understand.
- When you type in Everworks.com into your browser, the browser first needs to get the IP address of www.Everworks.com. The browser contacts a DNS server to query the location of the server where the webpages are stored. Think of it as a directory service of IP address.
- The classic phonebook directory analogy, you need to find the company "Everworks.com", you look in the directory and see that it is located on 123 Main Street. Then you go to the address to visit the store.
What is Web Hosting?
- Web hosting is a service that allows organizations and individuals to post a website or web page onto the Internet. A web host, or web hosting service provider, is a business that provides the technologies and services needed for the website or webpage to be viewed in the Internet. Websites are hosted, or stored, on special computers called servers.
- When Internet users want to view your website, all they need to do is type your website address or domain into their browser. Their computer will then connect to your server and your webpages will be delivered to them through the browser.
- Most hosting companies require that you own your domain in order to host with them. If you do not have a domain, the hosting companies will help you purchase one.